Monday, November 07, 2011

White Halloween

Meteorologically, 2011 continues its horrendous way. As if six feet of snow in January, a tropical storm in August, and 20 inches above normal precipitation weren't bad enough, we got a major snowstorm before Halloween. I never would've imagined such a thing. Much worse, of course, was the devastation it caused. The October 29-30 storm dumped loads of heavy, wet snow on tree limbs, causing many to break and wreck power lines. I saw this myself on my street. We lost power for a whole week. Loss of electricity meant loss of heat. What an ordeal--I had to wear a jacket and winter hat to bed! Mornings were so cold I was reluctant to get up, and often delayed breakfast for two hours.
Halloween itself was cancelled. Without electricity for streetlights, it wasn't safe for kids to go out. I did give candy to several trick or treaters who came before dark. Of course that wasn't enough to clean me out. I'm stuck with leftover candy, which I may be tempted to eat.

1 Comments:

Blogger Neal said...

This year has certainly had some terrible weather. Even down south there has been some unusually cold weather in October. Here in Arkansas we had some days and nights in which it was close to freezing. Yet it then warmed up. Weather has been very erratic this year. No trick or treaters came to my house, but that is not surprising, since this residence is on a dirt road back in the woods.
The loss of power is one of the worst side effects of bad weather. As you said, that can make it dangerous to be out walking on the streets without lighting.

Neal Robbins

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home