Friday, April 01, 2011

Observing Mercury

In recent times, knowledge of Mercury has greatly increased. In the early 1990s, researchers detected ice in the perpetual cold of polar craters. Currently, the MESSENGER probe is mapping the innermost planet and searching for signs of water. Of course, amateurs can't advance our understanding of Mercury. But they can see it themselves.
I first tried over forty years ago. In late March 1971, my lack of experience showed. Taking "just after sunset" too literally, I began looking when the sky was still too bright. Not until the following year did I see it. On March 6, 1972, Mercury appeared as a scintillating speck below three other planets--Venus, Mars and Saturn--in the west.
Since then finding Mercury has been routine. Most amateurs see it during March or April, when the ecliptic is at its highest in the west after sunset. Last month, I saw the little orb on eight evenings. Five of them were after greatest eastern elongation, which occurred March 22. On March 28, for the first time, I saw Mercury six days after GEE. Of course, it was much dimmer then than it was ten days earlier. I knew it would dim as it approached inferior conjunction, prior to vanishing from the evening sky. For me, the denouement of this appearance was unusual. On March 28, it seemed brighter when I first spotted it than it was a short while later. The next evening, the 29th, I thought I saw it, but when I paused to switch to a higher magnification eyepiece, I was unable to find it again (assuming I really saw it). Such an experience is counterintuitive. Mercury should appear brighter as time passes and twilight deepens. I wonder if others have had this experience.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Roger said...

Living here in downtown LA, and having no telescope, and bad eyesight besides, I don't expect to see Mercury anytime soon, but I am really excited that we're at last going to get photos of the whole planet and much new information. As I envision it, Mercury will become one of the most exciting worlds we'll colonize in the Space Age, and last summer I started painting a series of pictures of everyday life in Mercurian cities as I imagine them, but then got sidetracked into other projects before I could finish them, but I hope to be able to get back to them later ths year
Roger

10:09 PM  
Blogger Neal said...

I saw some photos of Mercury a couple of days ago. They were included with a news article. The article said that the pictures are the first ones taken of Mercury from orbit. The photos are impressive; they show good images of craters.

Neal

10:17 PM  
Blogger starman said...

Roger, Mercury does seem to have a lot of potential for colonization. It's not just the polar water. The planet gets more than enough solar energy and if that weren't enough, it also has abundant he-3 for future fusion. I'd love to see your paintings. :)

3:57 AM  
Anonymous Kelly Bell said...

Is it true there was in the recent past reports of a planet (ostensibly called "Vulcan") inside the orbit of Mercury?

7:34 PM  
Blogger starman said...

Hi Kelly, good to see you here. :) Sure, in the 19th century a French astronomer claimed to have observed a planet within the orbit of Mercury. If I remember right, he claimed to have seen it transiting the solar disk in 1859. It was named Vulcan but its existence was never verified.

4:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home